The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity. ~Harlan Ellison


Saturday, February 28, 2009

What the Bleep Was I Thinking?!?

After reading Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit section in the book The Demon Haunted World I started thinking about some of the things that I (then) believed to be true. Recently I saw part of the the movie The Secret. Honestly, I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of the film. It was like a movie length version of those "Make your living from home" infomercials (scams)...way too painful to get through the whole thing. What struck me is that The Secrets has a similar message as the movie What the Bleep Do We Know? I thought "Hmm, I haven't seen that movie in a while. I liked that movie...I wonder if it is as ridiculous as The Secret?"
OMG I had no idea!

Apparently What the Bleep is a propaganda piece for a cult whose leader believes that she is the intermediary for a warrior spirit from Atlantis named Ramtha. . What I find hilarious/frightening is that in the film J.Z. Knight the founder of Ramtha School of Enlightenment is introduced AS RAMTHA! I always wondered why she had a weird accent!



I guess that is what an Atlantean would sound like speaking English. Lulz!

I know some people who will be like "So? She could be!" To those people I submit:




In all seriousness though I want to apologize to those people that I gave this film to. Please read the references I have provided and make up your own mind. I think the lesson from this is to always question and never assume that just because something looks good, or sounds easy that it is truth. In fact I would say that is it usually the opposite!

No matter how hard you wish for something it is your actions that bring about events, or the actions of others. It's like I have told my brother who calls me and tells me what he is going to do with the lotto money WILL win one day..."You have to buy a ticket first!"

References:
Skeptico
Salon.com
Truth about the "science" of What the Bleep?

No comments: